November 26th, 2004

  • evan

removing duplicates using formail

An offlineimap hiccup from a long time ago put two copies of every message in my inbox. formail has a duplicate filter: it stores every message id in a cache file and when it sees a messageid twice, it returns success. If you add in the -s (split mail) flag, it will only output any message once.
So:
formail -D 10000000 cache -s cat < mbox > mbox2

Then to convince offlineimap to not recopy all of your local duplicates of messages back up to the server, rm your local copy of this mailbox and all mentions of it in ~/.offlineimap and its subdirectories. The next run will cause a full download of that mailbox.

(No work today, so it's mail-cleaning time: adding more data to the spamassassin bayes learner, removing duplicates, and next I'll try that bounce-filtering scheme y'all suggested.)
  • evan

mplayer altivec, osx vs ppc-linux

Frustrated by mplayer failing to play another movie, I noticed I'd built my binary in mid-2002. Time for a new one!

Unfortunately, it failed to build. The only reference to the problem Google found was on LJ, too.

It turns out that the problem is that the altivec code for mplayer was written on OS X and not Linux, and apparently the compilers (which are both gcc, as far as I knew?) have implemented the altivec vectors differently.
This patch fixes it, and it's worth glancing at to see the difference. The syntax for the vector type appears to be vector [size] where "size" is a type (like unsigned char), but the OS X gcc initializes it with weird (value,value,value,...) syntax instead Linux-gcc's {value,value,value,...} (analagously to struct and array initializers).

Once you're pulling in the altivec header, there's a conflict with /usr/include/sys/uio.h, which names a variable in a prototype __vector. Yikes. At least it's harmless to change a prototype. (This is possibly my fault, as I dinked around in the source a bit until I found the patch.)

That, plus a few other hacks (bad include paths, etc.) means I can now play my movies.
(In retrospect, I probably should've started with the CVS mplayer and gone from there.)




Obligatory O'Caml note: they use separate namespaces for types and variables, so code like this is legal:
# type x = A | B;;
type x = A | B
# let x = A;;
val x : x = A

Here, I have a binding "x" with type "x". There's an interesting parsing interaction going on with the way C declares variables, with syntax of simply type identifier;, that I haven't fully thought out yet. (It's impossible to have that in a language that does function application without parenthesis, which is I think why ML and Haskell have gone the identifier :: type approach instead.)

Of course, an entirely different question is whether having variables and types with the same name is a good idea...
  • evan

long weekend updates

I have released version 1.0 of my bindings for libxml's xmlReader API.

The minor changes:
 - Updated Makefile to install libxmlr.a.
 - Minor documentation futzing.
If your existing install works, it is not worth updating.

Otherwise, you can get it from here:
  http://neugierig.org/software/ocaml/xmlr/
There's a short description of the API here:
  http://neugierig.org/software/ocaml/xmlr/doc/Xmlr.html